There is such a wonderful abundance of fruit on our supermarket shelves, come this time of year! Because all of these delightful offerings are in season, your favourite summer fruits are much cheaper now than they will be in the wintery months. We suggest you make the most of it!
1. JAM: Blend 1 kg fruit with 1 kg sugar and the juice of 1 lemon. Boil for 5–10 minutes, then seal the hot jam in sterilised jars.
2. DRIED FRUIT: Slice fruit (and remove any seeds or pips) then spread out on baking trays. Place in an oven at a low heat for several hours until dried out. Store in airtight containers, or freeze for longer periods.
3. COMPOTE: Bring 500g fruit to the boil with 50g sugar and 2–3 tbsp water (or lemon juice, if you like it tart). Simmer for 3–5 minutes, until the fruit is cooked but still holds its shape. Leave to cool, then freeze for up to 3 months. This works best with berries.
4. BOOZY INFUSIONS: Mix fruit with sugar and alcohol (cherries and brandy, litchis and vodka, peaches and gin work well) and store in a cool, dark place for 3 months to infuse. The fruit makes a great dessert topping!
5. SMOOTHIES: Chop and freeze berries, mangoes or nectarines. Later, whip up a smoothie for an instant taste of summer in the cooler months.
6. ICE LOLLIES: Blend and freeze fruit for traditional lollies, or freeze whole pieces of soft fruit in water. Great for moist fruit such as watermelon and litchis.