With the festive season almost upon us, it’s the time to bring out the braai gear and get prepped for a season filled with friends, drinks and amazing braaied goods! Here how to prep and clean your braai and braai grid
By Taryn Wilson
1. Always remember to empty out the ash and clean out the braai after each use. Avoid using water to put out the fire as it can cause a big mess and damage the braai equipment. Rather opt for sand when putting out a fire.
2. Preheat your grid and tools before cleaning to get the grime and food scrapes off. A simple trick to getting off the extra is to cut an onion in half and rub it on the hot braai grid.
3. Beer or a baking soda and water paste on the braai grid will also ensure that it comes out shiny and sparkling. Allow the beer or paste to sit, and then wipe it away with a dry cloth or piece of newspaper.
4. Prevent your tools from rusting by rubbing them with vegetable oil after cleaning and drying.
1. Keep all your braai equipment and tools together so that you know where it all is and can quickly grab everything you need when you need it.
2. Stay stocked up on charcoal, firewood, blitz, lighters and other things you may need to get the braai going.
3. Set the braai time vibe with a playlist!
4. Place the braai in an area where the smoke won’t blow out of control and around your guests.
5. Ensure you are braaing in a spot with good lighting for when it gets dark. Outdoor spotlights and headlight straps work well for this.