We absolutely love the idea of sneaking healthy legumes into our sweet treats. These delights are quick, easy, budget-friendly and perfect for #wellnessWednesday!
MAKES 18 bars
325 ml wholewheat flour
4 tbsp sugar
2 ml baking powder
2 ml cinnamon
1 ml salt
½ cup buter
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 tbsp raspberry jam
For the lentil filling
270 ml cooked Imbo lentils
½ cup water
175 ml brown sugar
60 ml cake flour
7 ml baking powder
1 ml salt
2 ml vanilla essence
2 eggs, beaten
175 ml Imbo desiccated coconut
½ cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and grease a 22 x 33 cm baking dish.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. Cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form.
4. Mix in the egg and mix to form a dough.
5. Press into the baking dish and bake for 10 minutes until firm. Remove and cool.
6. Spread with the raspberry jam.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C.
8. In a food processor, puree the lentils with the water.
9. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
10. Mix in the lentil puree, vanilla essence and eggs.
11. Add the coconut and pecan nuts, then spread the lentil filling over the jam in the cooled crust.
12. Bake until firm, about 35 minutes. Cool and cut into 18 bars.