Looking for a mid-week meal that’s budget friendly and can be cooked in just one pot? Look no further than our comforting chicken and chorizo paella.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 50 min
300g chorizo, thinly sliced
100 ml olive oil
4 chicken breasts, sliced
2 red onions, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp paprika
Salt and black pepper
500g white rice
1 cup dry white wine
1L chicken stock, warmed
2 cups frozen peas
Chopped parsley, to garnish
Lemon wedges, to garnish
Roast peppers, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Cook the chorizo in a dry pan over medium heat. Let it crisp up, while releasing some of the fat. (Use the dish you would like to serve the paella in, as you will layer the flavours throughout the cooking process.)
3. Add the oil and chicken, cook until golden brown. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add paprika and cook for another minute, then season.
4. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes until slightly toasted. Deglaze the pan with the wine and reduce heat.
5. Add the stock and cover the pan. Stir every so often, tasting as you go along. When the rice is half cooked, about 20 minutes, add the peas and cover.
6. Cook until the rice is done, about 10 minutes. Don’t stir: The idea is that a crusty layer of rice forms at the base of the pan … the sign of a good paella.
7. Garnish the paella with parsley, lemon wedges and roast peppers. Serve with warm, crusty bread.