Pickled fish is a local South African classic! Spoil the fam with a yummy helping for your next meal. The best part? You can keep it in the fridge for a week after pickling!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 40 min
4 onions, sliced into rings
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp grated ginger
5 tsp mild curry powder
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander seeds
5 bay leaves
1 L white vinegar
300 g sugar
Flour, to dust
2 kg hake fillets, cut into portions
1. Heat oil and fry onions until soft. Add garlic, ginger and spices, and fry for 2 minutes.
2. Add vinegar and sugar, and stir until dissolved. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Season flour with salt and pepper, and dust the fish in it. Pat off any excess flour.
4. Heat oil and shallow-fry fish until golden, 2–3 minutes per side.
5. Place a layer of fish in a deep sterilised glass container. Ladle sauce over it. Layer fish and sauce until finished. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
TIP: For the best results, allow the fish to pickle for 3 days to combine all the flavours.