Try your hand at this Asian classic with our chill-beef bao buns! They pack a delicious punch, and you can make them with storebought bread dough from your local supermarket.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 3 hours
250 g stewing beef
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ cup finely sliced ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp chopped chillies
3 cups beef stock
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp salt
250 g storebought bread dough
¼ cup peanuts, toasted
¼ cup coriander
1. Dust beef in flour. Heat oil in a pot and sear. Remove.
2. Fry the ginger, garlic and chillies for 5 minutes.
3. Add beef, stock, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and salt. Simmer for 2 hours. Once cooled, shred.
4. Roll dough into a sausage, 3 cm thick. Cut into 3 cm slices and roll each into a ball. Use a chopstick to roll each ball into an oval bun. Brush with oil. Fold the bun over the chopstick, then pull out chopstick.
5. Leave to proof for 10 minutes.
6. Steam in batches for 8 minutes. Open the buns and fill with beef, peanuts and coriander.