It may take some extra work in the kitchen, but this sugar- and gluten-free vegetarian breakfast is so worth it! You’ll never enjoy poached eggs the same again.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 5 min
2 medium beetroots, halved and peeled
1½ L water
2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
2 tbsp coconut oil
Salt and black pepper
400 g tin cannellini beans
1 tbsp tahini
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp vinegar
Coriander, to serve
1. Place the beetroots and water in a large pot. Cook for 1 hour, until tender. Remove beetroots from the pot and allow them to cool.
2. Squeeze any liquid from the grated potatoes. Add coconut oil and seasoning, and stir to combine well.
3. In a non-stick frying pan, cook 2 tbsp potato mixture at a time for 3–4 minutes on each side.
4. Place the cooked beetroot, beans, tahini, lemon zest and juice, and seasoning in a blender. Blitz until smooth.
5. Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Add the vinegar. Stir the water to create a whirlpool, then crack in an egg and cook for 6 minutes. Repeat.
6. To serve, spread bean pâté on a potato fritter and top with a poached egg. Sprinkle with fresh coriander.