You’ve seen them all over Instagram but you’re not sure how to try them out for yourself? Treat the fam to a batch of these glorious pizza cones this weekend. You can thank us later.
MAKES 6 // COOKING TIME 55 min
500 g ready-made bread dough
2 cups grated mozzarella
1 cup tomato purée
Salt and pepper
200 g chorizo or pepperoni, sliced
2 tbsp chopped origanum
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a baking tray.
2. To make cone moulds, cut 6 sheets of cardboard about 15 cm long and roll into cone shapes. Wrap them in heavy foil and grease lightly.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 5 mm thick. Using a cone mould as a guide, cut out 3 circles 30 cm in diameter. Cut each circle in ½. Carefully wrap dough around the cone moulds, pressing the edges tightly closed. Arrange on the baking tray, open-sides- down, and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Increase oven to 200°C.
5. Allow the cones to cool, then remove from the moulds.
6. Place the cones right-side-up in ovenproof cups tall enough to keep them upright. Place a bit of mozzarella at the bottom of each cone, then a spoonful of tomato purée. Season. Fill with chorizo or pepperoni. Top with a sprinkle of mozzarella and origanum.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.