Do you love Thai food? Then you have to try our Massaman butternut burgers. Perfect for vegetarians, it lives up to its name and is packed with peanuts and spices key to Middle Eastern cuisine.
MAKES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 min
2 cups peeled, diced butternut (±1 medium butternut)
1 tbsp olive oil, plus to fry
2 onions, peeled and chopped
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch ground cardamom
400g tin butter beans, drained and blended
375 ml panko crumbs
90 g unsalted peanuts, roasted
4 burger buns
Basil, to garnish
Chilli, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Place butternut on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss. Bake for 20 minutes, shaking halfway through.
3. Blend the next 14 ingredients (from onion to cardamom) into a paste.
4. Add the butter beans, panko crumbs, peanuts, egg and roast butternut. Blend the mixture until it is combined.
5. Divide the mixture into 4 balls and shape into patties.
6. Heat the oil in a pan. Fry the patties one at a time, flipping so that both sides are golden brown.
7. Serve the patties on burger buns, garnished with fresh basil and chilli.