It’s the perfect time of year to pop some seafood on the coals, and this ocean-fresh West Coast paella will have you firing up the braai right away! What are you waiting for?
SERVEs 4–6 // COOKING TIME 20 min, plus simmering time
2 tbsp olive oil
150g chorizo, sliced 5 mm thick
1 onion, peeled and cut into petals
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
410g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp brown sugar
500 ml chicken stock, hot
250 ml rice
500g West Coast mussels
250g hake, cubed
Salt and pepper
Handful parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in a cast-iron pan. Fry chorizo until the fat is released and the sausage is crispy.
2. Add onion, garlic, peppers and paprika. Cook for 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, sprinkle with sugar and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the stock and rice to the pan and cover with a lid or foil. Simmer until most of the stock has been absorbed and the rice is almost tender.
4. Add the mussels, prawns and hake. Cover and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the mussels have opened and the prawns have cooked through. Add a little hot water, if needed.
5. Season, sprinkle with parsley and serve.