If ever there was a braai side to take centre stage, this is it. So light up those coals, gather the troops and tuck into our incredible bacony beans.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 55 min
Olive oil, to fry
200g bacon rashers
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp smoked chilli flakes
20g tomato paste
400g tin whole, peeled tomatoes
400g tin cannellini beans
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
Salt and pepper
Sourdough bread or ciabatta, toasted, to serve
1. Heat oil in a pan and fry the bacon for 10 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from the pan.
2. Add the onion and fry for 5–10 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomato paste and fry for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add more oil if necessary.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
5. Add the beans, sugar and bacon and simmer for another 10 minutes, then season.
6. Serve with the toasted bread.