We all know that no matter how you love to eat it, avocados will always make a winning meal. We rate you get a bit adventurous and try your hand at making our avo sushi cake.
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 60 min
375 ml sushi rice
3 tbsp rice vinegar
4 tsp sugar
2 sheets nori
2 avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
500g salmon, thinly sliced
125 ml soy sauce
60 ml peeled, grated ginger
Wasabi paste, to serve
1. Rinse the rice 2 or 3 times, until water runs clear. Place in a pot with 560 ml water and the salt. Bring to the boil, uncovered, then reduce to the lowest heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and steam, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Place vinegar and sugar in a pot over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Place the warm, cooked rice in a shallow dish and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Using a spatula mix the vinegar into the rice, using a slicing motion. Allow the rice to cool, but don’t refrigerate, or it will become too sticky to work with.
4. Line the base of a 22 cm cake tin with baking paper. Cut 2 sheets of nori to the same size as the tin.
5. Place 1 sheet in the tin. Spread ½ the cooked rice in a layer over the nori, arrange ½ the avo over it, then ½ the salmon on top. Repeat the 4 layers. Cover with cling film and refrigerate.
6. Mix soy sauce and ginger to make a dipping sauce.
7. Turn the sushi cake out on to a platter. Serve with the dipping sauce and wasabi paste.