Could you think of anything better for a cold winter weekend? Our beef and ale stew is packed with hours worth of flavour, but comes together in just one hour, and in just one pot!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
600g stewing beef, cubed
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups ale
400g tin chopped tomatoes
Chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Place beef and flour in a bag. Shake until the meat is coated.
2. Heat oil and butter in a large heavy-based pot. Cook the beef until golden brown. Remove from the pot and set aside.
3. In the same pot, fry carrots, onions, celery and leeks. Cook until the veggies are crispy and slightly charred. Add garlic and cook for a further minute. Add tomato paste and stir to coat.
4. Deglaze with the ale, scraping up the bits off the pot.
5. Add tinned tomatoes and beef and decrease the heat slightly. Simmer for 30–45 minutes, until the meat is soft and tender.
6. Garnish with parsley.