Looking for Sunday lunch inspiration? We’re throwing it back to when we featured self-taught chef Cass Abrahams in our beautiful magazine, and she shared her waterblommetjie bredie recipe with us. Tuck in!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 120 min
2 onions, peeled and chopped
½ tsp peppercorns
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 kg lamb, cut into pieces
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 kg fresh waterblommetjies
4 large potatoes, cubed
2 tbsp lemon juice or 1 bunch surings, chopped
Salt and ground pepper
½ tsp nutmeg
1. Place onions, cloves and peppercorns in a pot. Add ½ cup water and simmer until onions are transparent and water has evaporated.
2. Add the oil and fry until the onions are brown. Add the lamb and garlic and cook over low heat until the meat is brown.
3. Boil 1 kg waterblommetjies in water until just tender. Drain and wash under cold water. Set aside.
4. Add the rest of the waterblommetjies to the bredie and continue cooking until the meat is almost tender.
5. Add potatoes and cook until almost done. Add the parboiled waterblommetjies, lemon juice or surings, and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add the nutmeg and serve with rice.