There is absolutely no need to avoid a carb-loaded breakfast. All you need to do is make sure you are enjoying a brekkie that is packed with wholegrains. Our puffed rice granola clusters are filled with vitamin B and are perfect in a balanced diet.
SERVES 6–8 // COOKING TIME 95 min
½ cup vegetable or coconut oil
½ cup honey
cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla essence
½ tsp salt
5 cups rolled oats
2 cups puffed brown rice
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup chopped white chocolate or chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a tray with baking paper.
2. Place the oil, honey, sugar, vanilla essence and salt in a pot over low heat. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the oil is incorporated. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
3. Add the rolled oats, puffed rice, cranberries and chocolate or nuts to the sugar mixture.
4. Pour the mixture on to the baking tray. Spread out into an even layer, pressing it down.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. If you are using 2 baking trays, swap them around and bake for a further 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 hour before using your hands to break it into clusters.
7. Serve the granola with fruit and yoghurt.