It’s time to fill that cookie jar with fragrant biscuits that are bursting with life. We won’t say no to a late night hot drink with some of our lavender shortbread.
MAKES 24 // COOKING TIME 30 min
½ cup caster sugar, plus extra to garnish
½ tsp vanilla essence
4 stalks flowered lavender, finely chopped
1½ cups cake flour
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Cream the butter and 90 ml caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla essence and ¾ lavender and beat for one minute.
4. Add the flour and salt, and knead together until just combined.
5. Lightly grease a medium-sized baking tray and press the dough into the tray. Cut the dough into heart shapes (or any shape of your choice) using a cookie cutter.
6. Prick the biscuits to the base with a fork and bake until lightly golden brown.
7. Combine the remaining caster sugar and lavender flowers, then sprinkle on the top of the shortbread while still warm. Allow to cool before serving.