How gorgeous is this Greek whole baked fish? And you won’t believe how easy it is to make at home. So if you are having family and friends over and you guys are missing those summery fish braais, here’s your solution.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 60 mins
5 pickled vine leaves, optional
1 kg fresh fish, scales and entrails removed
1 large lemon, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Handful origanum sprigs
½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
4 tbsp capers
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Spread the vine leaves along the bottom of a roasting tray. Place the fish on top and stuff with lemon slices and garlic.
3. Scatter the origanum and olives over the fish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place the fish in the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until fish is opaque and the flesh flakes with a fork. If the fish is not cooked, return to oven for 5–10 minutes.
5. During the last 5 minutes of the fish cooking, place the butter in a shallow frying pan over high heat and cook until the milk solids on the base of the pan have turned a golden-brown colour and the butter smells nutty.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and add the capers.
7. Pour the burnt caper-butter over the fish and serve with fresh herbs and a green leafy salad.