Warm winter salads are something we are so grateful for. They allow us to inject a fresh and nutrient-dense meal in between carb-heavy, meaty options that are typical at this time of year. And since this is one of our favourite vegetarian dishes, why not transform it into a lovely deconstructed ratatouille salad.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 35 min
Olive oil, to fry
2 brinjals, cubed
2 red onions, peeled and cut into petals
5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into strips
4 large baby marrows, sliced
400g tin chopped tomatoes
½ cup basil
Salt and black pepper
Baby salad leaves, to serve
1. Heat a little oil in a pan over high heat and fry the brinjals until golden brown, 5 minutes. Remove from the pan.
2. Add some more oil, decrease the heat to medium, and fry the onions until soft, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the mixed herbs and cook for 1 minute. Remove.
3. Fry the peppers until slightly browned, about 5 minutes, and remove. Then fry the marrows until slightly browned, also about 5 minutes. Remove.
4. Place the tomatoes and the basil in the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Season all the vegetables and serve warm, with the baby salad leaves and the tomato sauce on the side.