They knew how to winter back in the good old days and our online manager, Roxy, developed this medieval mulled wine and it has been enjoyed on many a wintry weekend evening in her home. So grab your favourite bottle of red, some vitamin C-packed citrus and your spices, and you’re good to go.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
750 ml red wine
750 ml orange juice
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp ground ginger
3 tbsp honey
60 ml sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Place the wine in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
2. Pierce the orange a few times with a fork, then cut it in half. Add it to the wine.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes, constantly stirring with a whisk. Do not let the wine boil.
4. Reduce the heat and keep the wine just below a simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Ladle your glühwein into mugs and serve hot.