120g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
2 ripe avocados
¾ cup coconut sugar
2 tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Melt half the chocolate in the microwave until smooth. If the lumps don’t disappear, add a few drops of water and whisk while still hot. Set aside.
3. Lightly mash the avocado. Put it in a food processor with the coconut sugar, coffee and vanilla. Pulse until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula every now and then.
4. Add the melted chocolate and pulse again until smooth.
5. Add the eggs and pulse again until smooth.
6. Add the coconut flour, cocoa and salt. Pulse again until smooth and fully incorporated.
7. Remove the blade or transfer the mixture to a bowl. Break up the remaining chocolate into bite-sized pieces, and gently fold into the batter.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out the top with a spatula.
9. Bake the brownies for no more than 35 minutes – start checking after 25 minutes. You want them to still be gooey in the centre.
10. Serve garnished with orange zest and almonds.