Not only are brinjals one of our favourite ingredients at the moment, they are also in season right now and their flavour is super versatile. We chargrilled them and served them with a batch of comforting Moroccan meatballs.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min
90 ml olive oil
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
410g tin tomato purée
1 tsp sugar
Salt and black pepper
500g ostrich/beef mince mix
2 slices stale white bread, grated
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 brinjals, cut into ½ cm slices
100g baby spinach
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan over medium heat and fry the onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Combine mince, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, coriander, cumin, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Roll the mixture into small balls.
4. Arrange the meatballs in the pot with the remaining sauce and increase to medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through, turning halfway.
5. While the meatballs are still cooking, heat up a griddle pan. Brush brinjals with remaining oil and grill until slightly charred and softened.
6. To assemble, lay 3–4 brinjal slices on each plate and add baby spinach. Spoon over the meatballs and sauce and serve.