Forget about pushing rice to the side of the plate as a staple side or a sauce soaker. With our delicious rice pot, it becomes a dish all on its own. This one-pot dinner is packed with spicy flavours from the chorizo and paprika, plus we added some white wine as well, because, well, why not? Tuck in!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 75 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken pieces
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 chorizo sausage, sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tsp paprika
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
800 ml chicken stock
400g tin chopped tomatoes
200 ml dry white wine
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried
2 cups basmati rice
Salt and black pepper
Parsley, to garnish
1. Heat a stove-proof casserole dish over medium heat. Add the oil and brown the chicken pieces in batches. Remove and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat and add the onion, chorizo, garlic, paprika, and lemon zest and juice. Fry for 5 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Return the chicken to the dish and add the stock, tomatoes, wine and thyme. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add the rice and stir gently to mix. Replace the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes, until the rice is done and all the liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then serve garnished with parsley.