There really is nothing better than a lazy weekend filled with good old fashioned baking. And with that in mind, we bring you a good old fashioned bake. Pumpkin bread is lovely with the slightest sweet taste that pairs perfectly with melting honey. Finish off with a drizzling of honey and you’ll be in heaven.
MAKES 1 loaf // COOKING TIME 55 mins
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup honey, plus extra to serve
1 cup grated pumpkin
2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ cup boiling water
Butter, softened, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 23 cm loaf tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the vanilla essence and cinnamon. Add the eggs, honey and pumpkin, and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour and baking powder together.
4. Combine the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a small bowl. Add this to the creamed mixture, and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
5. Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 5 minutes in the loaf tin, then transfer to a cooling rack. Slice and serve with butter and honey.