We all have a jar of Marmite at home and we all love oxtail – this recipes combines the two perfectly. This dish makes for the perfect family Sunday lunch. Not to mention, it’s a great recipe to cook in bulk and freeze for those lazy weeknights when you have no inspiration for dinner.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 140 mins
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 kg oxtail
1 leek, chopped
1 tsp Chinese five-spice
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme, plus extra to garnish
410g tin chopped tomatoes
40g sachet tomato paste
2 tbsp Marmite
Salt and black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat and brown the oxtail. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the leek to the same pot and cook for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the Chinese five-spice and fry for 1 minute. Add the carrot, celery, bay leaf and thyme, and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Return the oxtail to the pot and cover with 1.2ℓ boiling water. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and Marmite. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 2 hours, until the oxtail is softened, adding more boiling water if needed.
4. Remove the oxtail from the pot and let cool slightly. Blend the soup until smooth. Separate the oxtail meat from the bones and return it to the soup.
5. Reheat the soup and season. Serve garnished with thyme.