Are you in a mood for a good hearty breakfast, but lacking somewhat in inspiration? Look no further than our fragrant, budget-friendly Spanish omelette to give you the positive kick you need to start the day.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 60 mins
500g potatoes, peeled
⅓ cup flour
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 bunch (3–4) leeks, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
½ tsp nutmeg
100g cheddar, grated
⅓ cup milk
125g cherry tomatoes, halved
Flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Boil the potatoes until just done. Leave to cool, then dice.
3. Place flour, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper in a ziplock bag. Add the potatoes and shake.
4. Melt 50g butter in an oven-proof frying pan over medium heat. Fry the potatoes in batches until golden. Remove.
5. Reduce to low heat and melt the remaining butter in the same pan. Fry leeks, garlic and nutmeg until leeks are softened, about 8 minutes.
6. Whisk together eggs, cheddar and milk. Add the potatoes and tomatoes to the pan, then pour the egg mixture over. Stir gently to combine.
7. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 10–15 minutes, until the egg is just set.
8. Cut into squares and garnish with parsley.