Make the most of South Africa’s favourite catch of the day by prepping these yummy sarmies the night before and enjoying them as a work lunch. They also make a delicious addition to your summer picnic basket.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 35 mins
600g fresh snoek
¼ cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
2 Granny Smith apples, 1 grated and 1 sliced
½ medium cabbage, finely sliced
1 French loaf, cut into 4 and sliced down the centre
Apricot jam, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the snoek on the baking tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp lemon juice, and season. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
3. Debone the snoek by shredding with two forks, then set aside.
4. To make the coleslaw, mix the grated apples and cabbage with the remaining olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Season and toss to coat.
5. Fill the sliced French loaf with shredded snoek and sliced apple. Serve with apple coleslaw and apricot jam.