Every family has a secret chicken liver patė that they pass down from generation to generation. We flavoured our chicken livers with a home-made peri-peri and served them up with sweet potatoes. We then used the leftovers to make a patė worthy of any family recipe book.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 60 mins
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tsp dried mint
2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper
500g chicken livers, chopped into bite-sized pieces
450g ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp sugar
½ cup red wine
1 bay leaf, plus extra to garnish
4 large sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pot over medium heat. Fry the onion until it’s translucent.
3. Add the chilli flakes, garlic, mint and thyme, and fry until fragrant.
4. Season the livers, then add to the pot and brown on all sides.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, wine and bay leaf and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Season.
6. Drizzle the sweet-potato wedges with the remaining olive oil and season. Bake for 40 minutes, until cooked through and golden.
7. Serve the peri-peri livers with the sweet-potato wedges, garnished with a bay leaf.