Craving a bowl of hearty soup? Despite the change in weather, you can still enjoy this comfort food! Try this chilled baby marrow soup for something unique, fresh and delicious.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 50 min
3 baby marrows, ends removed, chopped, plus 1 peeled into ribbons, to garnish
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
4 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and black pepper
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
200 ml amasi
1 tsp chopped coriander
½ tsp chopped origanum
1 tsp chopped parsley
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 slices white bread, torn into chunks
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with foil.
2. Place the chopped baby marrows, onion and garlic on the tray, drizzle with one tablespoon of oil and season. Roast for 15 minutes. Place in a blender.
3. Add the stock, amasi, herbs, and lemon zest and juice to the blender, and pulse until smooth. Place in the fridge and leave to chill.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and fry the bread until golden on all sides. Drain on paper towel and season.
5. Serve the soup chilled, garnished with croutons, baby marrow ribbons and black pepper.