Looking to impress someone special with your culinary skills? Our gourmet beef stroganoff for two is just what you’re looking for! This rich, meaty and fragrant pasta dish is sure to make a lasting impression…
1.5ℓ beef stock
6 thyme sprigs
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
¼ cup olive oil
200g mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Salt and pepper
250g beef strips
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp brandy
2 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
200g tagliatelle, cooked according to packet instructions
1. Place the stock, 3 thyme sprigs, carrot and bay leaf in a pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. In a separate pot set over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and the butter. Add the mushrooms, garlic and the remaining thyme. Cook for 8 minutes, until the mushrooms have browned and cooked through. Season. Remove from the pot and set aside.
3. In the same pot, turn the heat up to high and heat the remaining olive oil. Season the beef strips, then fry them until browned. Turn down the heat to medium and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
4. Add the brandy and cook for 5 minutes. Strain the stock through a sieve to remove the carrot and herbs, then add to the pot. Simmer for 30–40 minutes, or until the beef is tender.
5. Add the sour cream, parsley, Dijon mustard and mushroom mixture to the pot and toss to coat. Season.
6. Serve the beef stroganoff on the tagliatelle, garnished with parsley, with extra sauce on the side.