This may sound like a surprising combination but this sweet and smokey apple and bacon risotto is the stuff dreams are made of. Follow our instructions to get it just right!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 mins
1ℓ chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
350g Arborio rice
200 ml dry white wine
3 tbsp grated Parmesan
1 tbsp butter, plus extra to serve
Salt and cracked black pepper
200g bacon, roughly chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
Extra grated Parmesan, to garnish
1. Heat the stock in a pot over low heat and keep it simmering.
2. Heat the oil in another pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the rice, making sure every grain is coated in oil, and fry for 1 minute, until it starts to look transparent. Add the wine and keep stirring until all the liquid is absorbed.
3. Add 1 cup hot stock to the risotto, stirring continuously until the liquid has been absorbed. Repeat cup by cup, until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
4. Add the bacon along with the onion. Once the bacon is crispy, set aside some to garnish.
5. Add the apple and cook for another 5 minutes. Season.
6. Stir in the Parmesan and 1 tbsp butter. Season and remove from the heat. Cover with a lid and let stand for 2 minutes.
7. Garnish with crispy bacon and extra Parmesan, and serve with extra butter.