A satisfying vegetarian treat that tastes as amazing as it looks.
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
300g baby spinach
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper
250g puff pastry, defrosted
½ cup flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Heat a large pan over medium heat and melt the butter and olive oil together. Sauté the onions until translucent, then add the garlic.
3. Add the spinach to the pan and cover with a lid for one minute, until the spinach has just wilted.
4. Remove from the heat and add the nutmeg. Season well with salt and pepper, and leave to cool.
5. Roll the pastry out on to a floured surface to about 3 mm thick. Cut into a square to fit your baking tray and score a 1.5 cm border.
6. Brush the pastry border with egg, place on a greased baking tray and bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Allow to cool before topping with the extra spinach to serve.