Even though it may not be prepared in the traditional way, if you follow our quick and easy steps, you’ll have a creamy risotto-style dish perfect for meat-free Monday.
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp butter
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
300g pearl barley, cooked according to packet instructions
420g tin creamed sweetcorn
1/3 cup mascarpone, plus extra to garnish
3 tbsp Parmesan, grated
½ cup cream
1 tbsp chives, chopped, plus extra whole chives to garnish
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tsp mint, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, quartered
1. Heat oil and butter in a large pan and sauté the onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
2. Add the cooked barley and sweetcorn and stir well. Heat it through.
3. Stir in the mascarpone, Parmesan and cream, and allow to melt.
4. Just before serving, mix in the chives, parsley and mint, and season to taste.
5. Transfer to a serving dish. Top with a dollop of mascarpone and whole chives, and serve with lemon.