Our guide on how to make dairy-free crème brûlée
5 eggs, 3 separated
1 vanilla pod
250 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Beat 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds in a glass bowl over hot water until light and fluffy.
3. Remove from the heat and add the coconut milk. Mix until thick and smooth.
4. Mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp water, then add to the egg mixture.
5. Pour into ramekins and place in a roasting tin. Fill the tin with hot water to reach halfway up the ramekins.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until set but still slightly wobbly in the centres.
7. Remove the crèmes brûlées from the oven and allow to cool, then place in the fridge to chill.
8. Just before serving, sprinkle with caster sugar and pop under the grill for 3–4 minutes, until golden and caramelised.