Oh, Sunday… How we do love an indulgent breakfast to lazily munch on while reading the morning paper. Add some natural sweetness to your breakfast pancake stack by making them with vitamin C-rich butternut – then top with bacon and melted cheese, and you’ll have a sure winner!
1½ cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
¼ cup melted butter
2 cups cooked butternut, mashed and cooled
250g streaky bacon
Golden syrup, to serve
1. Preheat the oven grill.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb, mixed spice, cinnamon and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Then add the milk, melted butter and butternut.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and allow the batter to rest for 10-15 minutes.
5. In the meantime, grill the bacon until crispy.
6. Using a waffle iron, cook about 1 cup of batter at a time, on medium heat, for around 5 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
7. Serve waffles topped with crispy bacon and Emmental shavings, drizzled with golden syrup.