Having people over? These little bites of goodness are quick and easy to make, and can be made in large batches – perfect for entertaining!
¾ cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 egg, separated
¾ cup buckwheat flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
250g vine tomatoes
250g tub cream cheese
3 tbsp chopped chives, plus extra to garnish
1 tbsp chopped dill
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
Salt and black pepper
1 avvocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
1. In a pot set over medium heat, combine the milk and butter, and heat until just below boiling point. Remove and cool until lukewarm, then whisk in the egg yolk.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the buckwheat flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Pour the wet mixture into the buckwheat mix and combine.
3. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to double in size.
4. Stiffly beat the egg white and then fold in the doubled-in-size mixture.
5. Carefully place spoonfuls of the mixture into a hot non-stick pan and cook the blini untl they bubble. Turn them over and cook the other side for about a minute.
6. Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the tomatoes until they pop and blacken slightly.
7. Combine the cream cheese, chives, dill, lemon zest and juice, and season.
8. Top each blini with a little of the cream cheese mixture, a slice of avocado and a tomato. Garnish with fresh chives and season.