A Middle Eastern classic, this fragrant rice dish will have your kitchen smelling amazing. The lentils give this veggie dish the protein kick it needs to become a main meal.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, peeled, 1 finely chopped and 1 thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
½ tsp powdered ginger
1 tbsp curry powder
8 green cardamom pods
1 tsp garam masala
2 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed well
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
400g tin lentils, drained
½ cup micro coriander, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté the chopped onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and spices. Sauté for another minute.
2. Add the rice, water, bay leaf and one teaspoon of salt and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partly covered, for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the lentils, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another five minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes with the lid on.
4. In the meantime, place the thinly sliced onion in a cool, dry pan and turn on the heat. Fry until they are crispy.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf before transferring to a serving dish. Garnish with crispy onions and micro coriander.