SERVES 4 // HANDS-ON 20 min // HANDS-OFF 45 min
200g caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp smooth apricot jam
250g maize meal
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
125 ml milk
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Beat the caster sugar and eggs until fluffy. Whisk in the jam.
3. Sift the maize meal, bicarb and salt into a separate bowl.
4. Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add milk, vinegar and vanilla essence.
5. Add both the butter mixture and the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a 2L ovenproof dish.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is nicely browned. Serve with custard.