SERVES 4 // HANDS-ON 20 min // HANDS-OFF 30 min
6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
½ cup warm milk
2 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
8 pork sausages
3 tbsp olive oil
100g cherry tomatoes, chopped
½ red onion, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Cook potatoes in salted water until soft, about 30 minutes.
2. Drain through a colander, then pop back into the pot. Return to the heat and let all of the extra water cook off; make sure they don’t burn.
3. Add milk and butter. Season and mash well.
4. Fry pork sausages in 1 tbsp oil until cooked through. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
5. To make the salsa, mix the tomatoes and onion. Season.
6. To make the gremolata, mix parsley, lemon zest and 2 tbsp oil. Season.
7. Serve the sausages on mash, with salsa and gremolata.
PORKY MASHED-POTATO PIZZA
SERVES 4 // HANDS-ON 20 min // HANDS-OFF 10 min
500g ready-made bread dough (from the supermarket bakery)
4 leftover bangers, cases removed
2 cups leftover mashed potato
410g tin Mexican-style chopped tomatoes
1 cup grated cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 230°C. Grease and flour a large baking tray.
2. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle and place on the tray. Drizzle with oil.
3. Bake the base for 10 minutes, until cooked but not brown.
4. Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a pan and warm the sausage meat. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Spread mash over the pizza base. Cover with tomatoes and sausage meat.
6. Make 4 hollows in the topping. Carefully crack an egg into each hollow. Sprinkle with cheese (avoid the eggs).
7. Bake for 10 minutes, until the eggs are cooked.