SERVES 4–6 // HANDS-ON 30 min // HANDS-OFF 25–35 min
2 tbsp butter, plus to grease
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
250g mushrooms, quartered
3 tbsp flour
150 ml chicken stock
½ cup cream
Squeeze of lemon juice
Pinch of tarragon
12 chicken breast fillets, cooked and chopped
33g packet bacon Mini Cheddars, crushed
1 cup grated cheddar
½ × 400g roll puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease a large ovenproof dish.
2. Blanch the green pepper in a pot of boiling, salted water for 2–3 minutes. Drain. Refresh in cold water and drain again.
3. Melt 2 tsp butter in a heavy-bottomed pot. Sauté mushrooms for 2–3 minutes, then remove.
4. Melt remaining butter in the pot. Add flour and cook slowly over low heat until the mixture is straw-coloured. Add chicken stock, turn up the heat and stir constantly until simmering. Add cream and reduce until the sauce has a syrupy consistency. Add lemon juice and tarragon.
5. Remove the pot from the heat. Add cooked peppers, mushrooms and chicken, and mix.
6. Pour the chicken mixture into an ovenproof dish. Add the Mini Cheddars and cheese and give it a good mix.
7. Roll out pastry on a floured surface, to a thickness of about 1 cm. Place over the filling and trim edges. Use trimmings to make shapes for the top of the pie. Stab air holes with a knife for the steam to escape. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
8. Bake for 25–35 minutes.