SERVES 6 // HANDS-ON 20 min // HANDS-OFF 90 mins
125 ml plain yoghurt
3 tbsp tikka curry paste
Juice of ½ lemon
400g white fish fillets, cut into chunks
200g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
3 cardamom pods, seeds only
3 curry leaves
1 bay leaf
1 onion, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp chopped coriander stalks
1 tbsp peeled, grated ginger
2 × 400g tin chopped tomatoes
60 ml coconut cream
1 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp garam masala
½ cup frozen peas
1. Mix together yoghurt, curry paste and lemon juice.
2. Cover the fish with the tikka mixture. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in salted water for 10–20 minutes, until partially done.
4. Heat oil in a pot. Cook the cardamom seeds, cloves, curry leaves and bay leaf until they sizzle and pop. Add onion, garlic, coriander and ginger, and cook until the onion is soft, 5 minutes.
5. Add potatoes and chopped tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 20–35 minutes.
6. Add the fish, coconut cream, chilli powder, garam masala and peas, and cook for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
7. Serve curry with poppadoms and rice.